Hi my name is Christine, I am the wife of a type 1 diabetic in the Michigan Air National Guard. My husband was diagnosed with Type 2 January 16, 2007, he got a waiver and was allowed to stay in the National guard.
Once my husband got his initial glucoses under control, his diabetes seemed remarkably controllable with Metformin, diet and excersise. Until this past fall when his glucoses went very high, finally he saw a doctor who felt like type 2 was a wrong diagnosis...after further testing my husband now has a diagnosis of type 1. He is on Novalog and levamir and they are working on getting a pump for him.
The problem he is running into now is that he was told today that they are probably going to start processing him for separation soon. He has served for 14 years, (4 years active, and 10 in the guard) he is an Iraqi war veteran. He has a good record and was planning to stay in for his 20... He would really like to retire simply because he loves the service and it's been his life since he was 18.
Where do we start? Is it a possibility for him to stay in? How long before they can kick him out?
Anyhelp or input would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Christine

Views: 143

Replies to This Discussion

Christine-

Hello! I would say the chances are slim but he can stay in. He would have to get his A1C closer to 6.0 to do so. I will check with my husband and see what the requirements are but I think it is doable. Just might be a lot of hard work for your husband. I will see what I can find out and I will f/up with you.
I was in the Army Reserves for 4.5 years and I remember reading an article about a guy who was Active Duty and he was Type 1. He kept his A1C under 6 he stayed in and adventual begged them to let him go to Iraq, he went. Anything is possible. let's see what we can do.

Cherise
see if he can get a verterans retirment if he serve in iraq. I know a few marines retired at 15 years for their service with tours to iraq.

also theres a type 1 who is still in a point of contact for my family. he was told as long as his health was great and he could control his sugars with out a break in his work he would be fine.
The National Guard is playing a huge part with the war in Iraq. In some cases even more than the active duty. Unless he can find a position within his unit or within other units within the state that is a non-deployable position that he can fill, than he will be Medically discharged from the National Guard. I understand what it means to want to continue the mission and be told that you can't. I was MEDIVAC From Iraq after a motor attack during OIF2. It is frustrating, you feel like your letting down your troops, and that you have failed.
One thing he can do or you can do is contact your Congress person or your senator and let them know of the situation and see if they can talk to his unit and state command to see if there is anything available for him that is a non-deployable position. Recruiting comes to mind. As a Recruiter he would be considered non-deployable due to his job. this might be an option he needs to look into.
He could also contact the DAV Disabled American Veterans and see what they could do to help. Unfortunarly in the military its all about who you know. Unless he knows someone who is willing to help him with a job in a position that he dose not have to deploy, the Military will be forced to Medically Discharge him. The upside is that he should receive Disability because his diabetes got worse while serving.
I wish I had better advice and news for you but this is the best i can think of. I hope it helps in some way. Tell you husband thank you and thank you for supporting him. i know how hard it can be i look back at my wife and what she had to go through while I was in.
Take care.
I sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this. Well he got a notice on 14 January that he will be medically discharged on 1 March.Which my husband is appealing and will likely lose. His commander is willing to fight for him on this, and was willing to look for a non deployable position. Unfortunately the two recruiting positions that were available we taken about 10 days before my husband found them. The commander was thinking of making a position non deployable, however he feels as though that would be setting a precedence that he would have to follow with other service members in a similar position. The commander has allowed him to do drill weekends, although he cannot perform military duty...so the commander suggested he use the time to research to win his appeal.
We have started writing letters to congressmen and senators, maybe something will happen there. The thing that is neat in all of this is that he has so many people backing him and helping him.. from his first sgt. to his commander, to a one star general my mother knows.
The hardest part is to see my husband go through this. He joined the Army when he was 17 through a delayed entry program...he has since served in active duty army, army national guard and air national guard. He told his commander he felt like they were cutting his leg off. The kicker which I think adds insult to injury is that they are not retiring him because he has less than 15 years in. His 15th anniversary in the military is June 5,2010. He is so close and so far...
Thank you for your help.
Christine
keep fighting, I fought for 2 years and finally wone my battle with the Marine Corps last April. I was diagnosed type 1 shortly after my 10 year mark. I kept my A1C under 7 the whole time. I went as far as requesting a formal board just like Cuba Gooding Jr. did in men of honor. I have now just passed my 12 year mark on active duty. I wish you the best of luck, it can be done.
I am in a similar situatuation. Approaching 18 years with 3 trips to the desert. Will the medical discharge have any monetary gain (disabilty pay) tied to it or is he just out cold with no retirement?
I know this is probably too late to help, but it sounds like you are on the right track. I can really empathize with him. I joined the Reserve and did Basic in the summer between my Junior and Senior year in HS then did 14 years on active duty before Type I ended that. No retirement (disability or normal), no benefits, no nothing. As it was, the VA sent me to college for free, and as hard as it was things have turned out well.
Christine, I sure would like to hear the latest on you and your husband. I just joined here and after reading this, my heart goes out to you both. I am a Vietnam Vet, so I am used to being treated like "crap". I am just thankful that our troops today do NOT receive the type of treatment we(Vietnam Vets) received when we returned. I understand why some of "our"guys were afraid to return to the states.
Hello all,
Well my husband turned his appeal in on 20, march of this year. We have not heard anything until last week when he got a call stating that his appeal (namely his medical evaluation from his family doctor) was "lost." So now he has to get another medical evaluation, the problem is that he is under VA care now and he can't see a practioner until the end of october, they say that is too long to wait. It looks like he will lose his appeal. We do know that if he is medically discharged there will be no compensation. It's very frustrating. Unfortunately his last a1c was 8.1. He is due to get another one in october, hopefully his insulin has been adjusted to the right dosages to bring that down.
Thanks for all the imput!
Christine
I will be praying for him and you Christine. Tell him a Vietnam Vet that has been thru all this crude is on his side.
Christine,

Only being a brat I only know very little about staying in... Although I do know that my dad has 3 soliders in hes unit he at Fort Sill that has Type 1 and who all use insulin pumps. I will try my best to find out more information for you...

You may email me at ewhiting@rocketmail.com or armymansfieldbrat@yahoo.com
http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190,SS_060905_Diabetes,00.html
I know I'm probably too late, but this is the story of a type 1 diabetic who fought and won his case to stay in the military.
Natasha

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service