Just wondering because at the beginning - on some other forums (and even on here a bit) people keep saying "Oh because you are skinny already, you can't be a Type 2 so you must be a misdiagnosed LADA".

Obviously they are just being concerned but it sort of started bugging me after a while (usually peoplew who would say that were themselves LADA's). It is like saying everything is cut and dry with diabetes which we know it is not. Myth: You have to be fat to be a Type 2.

Ugh.

Tags: 2, LADA, Type, misdiagnosed, thin

Views: 1341

Replies to This Discussion

Well - I for one wish that the medical establishment would look a little deeper.

In my case, my Dr. was happy to call it Type II and treat it as such....
I wasn't "thin", but wasn't overweight either...
Coupled with a very strong family line of diabetics - I was eventually able to get a confirmation of MODY1.
(I was 6' 180lbs at diagnosis, now down under 155 lbs due to lifestyle changes...)

Whatever one wants to call them, and despite the underlying causes - I think that the best treatments for Insulin Resistance differs from that of Insulin Deficiency can differ....

Your right that nothing is cut or dry,
but it is definitely good to know that your approaching things with a methodology that is going to have positive long term impacts for you.

I was 35 pounds heavier when I was diagnosed. My doctor tells me that I am not typical and does not worry about me. I still hover my A1c around 6.0 and am on Metformin and Low-carb diet and lots of activity (exercise?) to maintain my BG. People are always surprised when they learn I am diabetic. Just smile a lot....

Yes, I was told this several times. But my doctor says I am definitely type two due to my body still making lots of insulin and the fact that I am responding to the oral medications.
Yet, no one can believe that I would have diabetes due to my weight and lifestyle. Yet, not all obese people are diabetic.

What bothers me is that most people, including professionals, know SQUAT about T2. There are 2 reasons for it. First, there is the classic picture of the majority of T2's who are older, yes, obese, have high cholesterol and hypertension, and it runs in their families. OK, yes, they are the majority.

But no one seems to remember that T2 is a GARBAGE-CAN diagnosis -- i.e. the definition of T1 is antibody positive, and if you're not antibody positive, you're automatically T2. But there are SO many things that can go wrong in the body when it comes to glucose homeostasis, and I personally doubt that all of them are even known about. They ARE making progress at differentiating disease processes, but the process is in its infancy, and the less-common, non-obese, or non-insulin-resistant forms of T2 are basically ignored.

So, if T1's feel like orphans, you have even MORE reason to feel like an orphan -- you have a disease which no one even knows exists, and for which there isn't even a name, if we reserve T2 for the obese, insulin-resistant majority. My CDE and I decided to call me T1, simply because my treatment needs are closer to T1 than to T2, and I'm not obese, but I've been calling myself Type Weird for many years -- it's the only description that really fits, LOL!!

It's nice to have company among the Type Weird. I'm still trying to figure out what I have. I was diagnosed with Type 2 a few months ago. A year ago I was on the upper side of normal weight, but after losing 30 pounds over the past year I am now underweight, and glucose readings have only gotten worse since then. Just started Metformin a few weeks ago and I'm not convinced it is doing anything except giving me incredible gas pains. My fasting glucose is low - this morning it was 69. But carbs send it soaring into the 200s. I just heard of LADA when reading on the internet yesterday, so I'm going to ask my doctor about it.

Hello there I've just written a reply - I know I was normal weight when I was diagnosed - its really hard to get your head round it. I too am now under weight - but read my reply and watch the film forks over knives - you really should go on a whole grain, no added fat/oil diet. Which means nothing - not even a nut or an avocado - actually I think you re allowed a walnut or two,,,.but I'm following DR Esselstyne and I think he's a bit more hard-core than Dr Mc Dougal - Watch the film and get all the books you can and read all about it - also look at the Gerson Therapy - they are all saying the same thing. Eat plants! With no fat and gradually the fat will drain from your cells and your liver and pancreas and things will start waking up- I was on Metformin I think it messed around with my liver ... not good - you can do it naturally -its a major challenge esp for dinner dates and eating at friends houses - but you can do it. A year After being told that I was going to be on drugs for life - I had fastings of 90 with no drugs AT ALL. If you are LADA then you probably will have antibodies to your Beta Cells - and thats an easy blood test. The diet helps type 1 diabetics too.

Strangely, I have been told that there is no way I can be type 2 on this site...lol. It was not until I found this specific message board that I learned that I too can be type 2 and not be obese.
The diabetic community has a ways to go in understanding the complexities and nuances of this medical condition.

Its so confusing isn't it - they rediagnosed me from being a type 1 to a 'weird type 2 - so incredibly annoying getting bad advice off doctors...they REALLY don't know WHAT they are talking about ... they have no interest in finding out the cause... but finally - I'm beating it - through my diet. After a very frustrating first year after diagnosis - I watched the film forks over knives - The next morning I went Vegan - with no added oils and two months later my Blood sugars were amazing.. it has meant getting even thinner - which I'm not that happy about, but thats a small price .. I would strongly recommend a look at this diet ... look at Mc Dougalls web site its great.

Well, you still ARE a "weird T2", although I prefer just calling it Type Weird, to distinguish it from classical T2, and also to include those who, like me, really don't fit into ANY of the boxes.

The thing is, if you went off the diet, your diabetes would most likely come back. I'm REALLY happy you found something that works for you, but having the diagnosis in the first place means that there really is something wrong, and so working at it is a lifetime commitment. So I'm hoping you have the strength to do that, because what you have achieved is wonderful, and I hope you can keep it up! :-)

Thank you so much -its so nice to talk to someone with the same problem! I know - its hard to get my head around the fact its for life - cos I actually COMPLETELY reversed it last summer and then everyone started telling me I was too thin ( I'm English everyones much bigger over there than here in the states.. generally, over all - that is .. I 'm not dangerously thin...or anything But I got paranoid and so started eating nuts and nut butters and it came back... so yes you re right it is a life time thing. BUt I think I've had it all my life - and so I naturally used to avoid certain foods.. I had a sense of it - so really it feels quite normal to be excluding stuff. But.. Oh my god its so hard sometimes not digging into peanut butter! Or the odd cake... its taken a lot of will power! But I sincerely believe that you can cure everything through diet. I'm looking at the Gerson Diet too - which is a tad more hard - core than the one set out by the China study - coffee enemas etc .. but will push it a bit further along I think.
In my mind its so much better than the alternative - I read posts from people talking about their liver throwing out glucose in the night etc... when I was on Metformin - mine used to do that - it doesn't anymore. The fat is draining itself from my liver and pancreas and they ve started working again. My sugars used to bounce - they don't anymore - things have just calmed down ... and my body is recovering. If you haven't seen the film Forks over Knives -or heard about the diet - I really urge you to have a look. Its fantastic. They really are a wonderful bunch of docs.. who truly believe in the power of plants. Its just trying to deal with the root cause of the problem rather than taking meds - which don't make you better. I too hope that I have the will power to keep it up ... ! I really do ! Thank you so much for replying ! Its actually really encouraging having someone remind me that it is a life long diet. Its potentially not something that I'm going to wave goodbye to forever.. But I can eat a whole giant potato.... and thats with no drugs.... which would have been absolutely out of the question this time last year. I have the docs notes from hospital stating that I would be insulin dependent for the rest of my life. My cells are all very slowly waking up.... from my bad cooking! So I'll keep going ... and keep you posted!

I'm a thin type 2 diabetic - the whole thing is really frustrating ! BUt I've have nearly reversed it through my diet - it did mean getting even thinner which was not pretty - but its seems to be working - I follow the DR Mc Dougall diet - he has a great web site - which is basically a no fat no added oil plant based whole grain diet. Seems to be working wonders .... .... no oils though not even a nut - its quite hard core but it works...

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service