I got an email from Stuart asking why younger Ds have such a panicked reation to their numbers. First of all, it's because they're young and new to the disease.
-Of course they're freaking out! Assumption of a healthy, unencombered life just got throw out of kilter. We've had plenty of time to adjust.

-When I came down with it in 1962, we had one number to keep track of... either 0,1,2,3, or 3+. We got it by putting a pill in a tube. We took one shot a day. Now Ds are measuring differences between 180 and 186 four times a day and taking many shots or carrying around a pump under their skin all day. I'm not longing for the bad old days; without these advances, I'd be dead now. The payback is that it is more complicated for us.

When I was diagnosed, no one got hysterical in my presence. We just changed everything quite calmly (on the surface anyway). The reaction of parents and relative matters A LOT.

- In 1949, my birth year, the assumption of a disease-free, long life was just beginning. Polio vaccine was relatively new. My parents experienced the devistation of polio and other life-threatening diseases sweeping through schools.

-Anxiety is a new cornerstone of th U.S. Even kids have high blood pressure.

Tags: adjust, anxiety, complicated, polio, time, to

Views: 158

Replies to This Discussion

Very interesting question that Stuart posted.

Sometimes too much information can bog a person down. It does seem that the speed at which a Type 1's can get blood sugar readings through kits and CGM's or even an at home A1C can cause anxiety. I agree that since most of us did not have access to immediate blood sugar results during our formative years with Type 1, it puts us in a very different boat than newly diagnosed Type 1's. I am glad I can ride out a high blood sugar situation without stressing out. The best thing with a high is to not let it weigh you down, drink some water, and walk around the block or something basic like that.

I wonder how extreme the education is these days for newly diagnosed. I had an amazing endo when I was a kid. He said something that has just stuck with me. "If your blood sugar was always perfect, then you wouldn't be diabetic." Words of Wisdom.

Lastly, I am not sure how feasible this is, because I just don't know how readily available they are. I hope kids/teens can go to camp. Diabetic Camp was the best thing in the world for me as a kid and teen. To be able to talk about the weird things that happen with no judgement is crucial at that age. It also helps newbies tremendously because camp is freedom and supportive. I know many newbies and families that felt like they could breathe for the first time in a while when they went to camp.

~Shelby
Great message, Shelby! I also think that reading, posting and sharing on a diabetes website like this one can also relieve tension, and have some of the same effect as the diabetes camps. I have learned 90% of what I know about diabetes from researching on my computer, and visiting the diabetes websites. My control is much improved for that reason.

The "bad old days" did not seem so bad because we knew so little about diabetes back then, and not knowing gave us calm and inner peace. Now we hear and see so much about our disease that causes much stress. Having good control and no complications relieves that stress.

I visit the Children With Diabetes website and can see the stress being experienced by parents and their diabetic children. They have all the modern day technology and can research every aspect of our disease, but they still panic much more than my parents did when I was a child.

I was born in 1939, and diagnosed in 1945. After 65 years with diabetes I am very healthy. I hope you will also experience a long, healthy life.
I agree with Alice's, Shelby's and Richard's statements. I was "relieved" to find out that I was not alone in this world back in 1966 when I was at Camp Joslin. Blind was beautifull back then but, I do thank modern technology for all the advances. I was D'xd at the age of 3 on July 6, 1958. I was too young to understand what was going on. My daughter was D'xd May 4, 2006 at the age of 23. I see the panic in her when things are not going right. I try to tell her to let the water roll off her back and try to relax and not tense up. I think it may be starting to work. I don't get as many paniced phone calls as before.
Hello Alice:

Thank you for your kind reflections on my poorly worded text... both unclear AND unable to respond to those who may have done so. [::: [ I will keep trying

I was not speaking of the beginners, you cannot be introduced to a REAL dragon (like the spooky ones from childhood bed time stories) over lunch and not be terrified. I was speaking about diabetics with just slightly less experience than you or I perhaps. My question concerned more the generation of diabetics

Those who genuinely FEAR being without their cell phones... The same "generation" of diabetics who seem terrified without the diabetes technology on their person, within instant, immediate reach?

Stuart
Your quote " Those who genuinely FEAR being without their cell phones... The same "generation" of diabetics who seem terrified without the diabetes technology on their person, within instant, immediate reach?"
got me thinking ..... i too am old school starting testing with a tablet in a tube and thats all, but now i have to be one of those you claim above...... because i am on the pump, because if i dont carry, my bm testing kit , a spare BM testing kit, a ketones testing kit, spare injection insulin and my pump insertion kit around with me at all times, they will take the pump off me and worse, i would probably go into ketosis very quickly as i have no long acting insulin in my body at all . The doctors set me a goal when i went on the pump of decreasing my HBA1c by 2% in a year, i done it :) plus point 8% .....so PANIC i do !!! The years of urine testing and not worrying were good for me, but now they are over, I am fighting for my eyesight, heading for a kidney transplant list and wear specail shoes after a near amputation.

Oh yes an i also have my mobile on me at all times too haha
Hello Chez:

Thank you for taking part!

You make a great and important distinction... have to give this one some thought....???

When you did not have tangible complications, did you carry the "suitcase" of stuff?
No I didnt, obviously i would carry my insulin...... and sometimes a bm testing kit, but rarely.

Hi im not yet 35 and new in this group cant believe people have had iabetes for over 60 yeard and join us on computer u must be wise anway imgoing to see my diabetes educar this arvo and im not worried bout my nimbers but still i guess is precaution and weather or environment can also affect u in diabetic experiences

YOU ALL STATE THINGS THAT I FELT/DID & FEEL/ DO NOW.LIKE TESTING CARRYING STUFF AROUND AS IF I WAS GOING TO MARS...HAHAHA...I AM ALWAYS PREPARED FOR EMERGENCIES.I DO NOT DRIVE SO YOU CAN IMAGINE.MY BAG.

THANKS FOR LISTENING& ALL THE ADVICE.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service