Funding for my pump has just been approved at long last and I was wondering if any members out there have received funding for CGM in the UK and if so, what the criteria is to enable the funding. I fought for a pump as I suffer with hypo unawareness and as far as I am concerned this should be good enough to get funding for CGM too!!! Any comments much appreciated.

Views: 19

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think I'm going to be much help, but I have had a CGM 3 times each time for 72 hours. My diabetic nurse was the one who sorted funding for me, but the reason I got it was because my Hba1c didn't match my BM's (Hba1c was too high). They needed to see where exactly my highs were (turned out I would go low and then high in the night).
I live in Hertfordshire - I don't know if its a postcode lottery.
Best thing I would say is speak to your doctor
Hi Verity

I'm Dad to Poppy (11, type 1, Medtronic 722 + CGM). We're in the process of trying to get funding for the CGM but are currently paying for this ourselves. I wondered if you managed to make any progress on this one or you have heard from people who have. You can email me directly on roger.fawcett@omnitek.tv

Roger
Last i hear they dont fund them in the UK. If you have a minimed realt-time then they can cost up to £50 a week. This shocked me greatly as i agreee that it should really be funded alongside our pumps....i certainly would feel a lot better knowing what my BG was every 5 minutes or so....saves our fingers too having to test all the time. It would be great to know however if this situation changes. Good Luck
Hi Verity, some PCTs will fund CGMS based on individual circumstances. Severe hypo unawareness and pregnancy seem to be two common ones. I'd contact Medtronic and see if their local rep can help - they'll know if any PCTs locally have funded CGMS and what criteria they used.

Hi Oliver - the sensors for the Medtronic CGMS cost around £35 each. They're licenced for use for 3 days but I use mine for 7 days and I know people who use them for up to a fortnight so £50 is the official cost per week but most people can get it down to about £35 a week or lower. Sorry to say CGMS doesn't stop you needing blood tests - you have to test at least twice a day to calibrate it. Take a look at this article for what I think are the pros and cons of CGMS - http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2009/04/to-cgms-or-not-to-cgms.html

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service