Hello everyone,

Just a few quick questions about the CGM are they available in the UK?
Has anyone got one,can I get one?
Do I have to be on the pump to get one?

Views: 92

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, yes they are available but not very available... I'm on what they call a 'sensor trail', but it's taken me a long while to achieve, and it's only for 3 months. The companies that make the sensors -- there are only two in the UK -- are Medtronic and Abbott. Abbott do something called the Navigator. That does not need for you to be on a pump (at least I'm pretty sure it does not). I'm pretty sure that the Medtronic ones -- called the Minimed -- can only be read by a Medtronic pump. You need to talk to your healthcare team. The more clued up you are and the more questions you ask them, the more you'll get a chance to go on a trial. it has a lot to do with your actual hospital -- whether they have budget, trained staff etc. Also, the sensors are no 'silver bullet' -- they don't sort things out all in one go, but they may help. You don't stop being diabetic, you even have to do blood tests AS WELL, but you can set the sensor reader (or pump) to give off an alarm if your sugars start to go down. A warning system that can give yout he chance to eat something to stop that hypo before it really hits you. Seems to me that each and every hypo they can help you avoid, the better your life (and mine!) will be. See http://www.minimed.com/products/insulinpumps/components/cgm.html and http://www.abbottdiabetescare.co.uk/inspired-products/freestyle-nav... -- sue
Thank you very much for the information it sounds great but I did not know you had to do tests on top of the machine,its a brilliant invention and it could help a lot of people that dont have any or limited hypo awereness.
Thank you for the link and I hope your trail goes well let me know how it goes.
I will sure ask my staff about it.
Osob
Mikheil Elizbarashvili
Dear Sue.
Thank you for this information.
I visited the website and saw the pictures of REAL-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring.
How much costs this device and sensors per Month?
Best regards.
Hi, I am having a trial next week of the Medtronic CGM. I am on a pump but having had type 1 diabetes for over 40 years I no longer have any hypo warnings. I can go down to 1.1 and not be aware of anything being wrong, but at that point I usually collapse. I am scared of losing my driving licence because of this. I have to do 30 to 40 tests per day. My pump is paid for by the NHS but I will have to pay for the CGM myself. It is approx £1000 then £6.60 per day thereafter to run. So its not cheap but if it helps then it will be well worth it.
Hi, I've just called medtronic about the Guardian Real Time and was told that it will cost £2600 for the pump and ten sensors and then £375 for each pack of 10 sensors (roughly £2250 a year). Does anyone know what the cheapest way to get one is if I can't get it on the NHS?

Thanks
Hi I have just bought a Dexcom seven plus CGMs for my 12 year old daughter. We have had to fund this ourselves as our PCT will not foot the bill. NHS postcode lottery it seems. I would assume anyone can buy one regardless of pumping or not.
Just thought I'd pass on some info. I'm in the states and just got a Dexcom CGM. I don't use a pump. It's been great! I no longer have warning signs of lows and this has helped tremendously! You still have to test but I've probably cut my testing from 8 or more to 5. It shows trends up or down and buzzes when you hit a preset point. It has a tiny canula that inserts and is held on with tape. It's water proof and sends a signal to a receiver that you keep within 5 feet of you. The receiver isn't waterproof.
The sensors hurt me like mad and I looked hard at the evidence to show if it would help......it's not there! Think carefully and ask others who have actually used it, you may be surprised, I was.
There is evidence to show that CGM can make a difference - http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2009/09/shock-news-cgms-works/ - although it definitely isn't a silver bullet and from experience only really works if you put in the effort to understand the data and act upon it, it's certainly not the easy answer to diabetes.

That said, I've been using a Medtronic pump and CGM for over 3 years and it's made a real difference to my control, I wouldn't give it up for the world. See http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2009/04/to-cgms-or-not-to-cgms/ for what I've found to be the pros and cons of using it.
Alison, having just secured funding for the OmniPod I'll be starting my campaign for CGM shortly too. Will certainly be referring to your site for tips.
Hello UK members,
I'm a type1 in the USA and use a Cozmo pump and have been using the Abbott Navigator CGM for a couple years. It's been a lifesaver for my hypo unawareness at night time. The CGM has been a major improvement in my diabetic health! My problem is that either the US FDA or Abbott has halted delivery of any new or warranty CGM's. We can still order the sensor cartridges here but can't get the meter and Abbott can't replace my broken one. Abbott says they are available all over Europe and in Israel but won't be available in the US for many months.
Can any of you UK members offer any insight or procedures into how I might buy one in England either by mail order or even if I had to travel in person to England to get one?

Thanks,
Franco
My consultant won't even entertain the idea of CGM he just quotes me the cost of the consumables (£70 for 3 days), and says they are not available. Likewise the pump.
If you want one on the NHS you have to have some serious problems with your diabetes (or an attitude problem with it) to get them to do anything other than MDI and test strips.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service