Hello everyone,

Just a few quick questions about the CGM are they available in the UK?
Has anyone got one,can I get one?
Do I have to be on the pump to get one?

Views: 95

Replies to This Discussion

I'd look for a new consultant. The financials are not his concern. He should make a medical judgement on whether you need the kit based on recommendations from NICE. Your primary care trust (for now, although this is changing) make the decision whether they will fund it. That is of course just the theory. The reality varies across the country, but many people have fought and won.

I've talked about my experience of getting funding here - http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2009/07/show-me-the-money/
1 Yes.
2. No but I'd walk across hot coals to get one
3. You might be able to
4. Yes. As far as I can tell a CGM is not currently considered a therapy in it's own right in the UK, so I don't *think* you can get one (certainly not easily) even if you can make a case that your clinic/DSN/consultant supports. I do know at least one UK person (Alison from Shoot up or put up) who has a CGM-and-pump combo, but I know this took a LOT of work to secure the funding from the PCT. I also think I've seen references to kids in the UK with a CGM, but that might have only been on Facebook :-\

EDIT: Ha! There's the Alison I was thinking of :) Didn't read the thread. Doh!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service