Has anyone been successful in getting a continuous glucose monitoring system funded by the NHS?
I recently bought my 12 year old daughter a Dexcom 7 plus CGM to help us make sense of her blood sugars. What I find unfair is the postcode lottery where some hospitals will fund sensors while others do not. We are having to self fund. Any tips on how to get them funded would be much appreciated.

Tags: NHS, continuous, for, funding, glucode, monitoring, systems

Views: 3791

Replies to This Discussion

I agree AC - but as you said we have to make an argument for CGM from a cost side. 1 being day to day. 2 being long term

I have used a CGM of a different make. The do occasional funding so I have one every few months and I am not going to lie, I hate every minute of having it. To onlookers, this is strange as I love my pump to the world. The CGM actually makes my control worse due to the fact that the calibration messes up. My CGM told me that I was 2.1 once and I had been having so much juice to get it up though my sugars didn't seem to be budging and I was feeling rather ill but I did a test and I was 17 or so. The CGM had told me I was low when I was seriously high. I find that my control is better on normal finger pricks if you test regularly. The NHS only sees fit to give out CGMs if you have bad sugar glucose which happens regularly when you are 12 due to growth and holidays so push your case at these points to your consultants as they are helpful when you have bad sugars. Normal times though, you can control it, if you know your patterns, with just your finger pricks.

I suppose that it always depends on the quality of the particular make. Probably if a common glucose meter on finger pricks is a bad quality one, they can also make such drastic mistakes as the CGM you describe.

I have just received notice from the Northampton Hospital to say that I can have a CGM for 1 week only to see what is going on with my very erratic levels. We put the request in ub January 2011! Only just come. Apparently they have funding for two machines a year! Very unfair, but I must say, I am not surprised.

I am partially lucky enough to get one every so often...well the Medtronic one which is a mini harpoon if that's lucky :P and I only use it for trends as I don't think I've ever had an accurate reading out of one yet. Anyhow, getting a bit side tracked (as always) here. Been reading more and more on the Dexcom and it does sound pretty good accuracy wise, and I assume due to postcode lottery not a chance of getting one up here.

So am curious as to how much and how did those self funding one, how did you get hold of it and the sensors? Thanks.

What is a mini harpoon?

Does it hurt much to put in? And can you have a shower when you use one?

Maybe over exaggerating a bit on the harpoon part, but they do feel rather more like something you want to go fishing with and personally I find they are rather irksome when inserted, and even more so when being inserted.

Removal wise they do come out all right with a lil tug, but they are much more attached than a normal infusion set, and a lot more painful than the normal cannula insertion etc. I find some just annoy all the time till it comes out and leave a bruise and a nice red mark for a few days.

Partly why I am interested in the Dexcom is that the sensor is from all comments a lot easier to insert and a lot more comfortable, also giving more variety of placement areas. I've tried the Medtronic sensor in a couple of places now but it really seems to only sit well in my mid section or flanks. Is generally too bulky and I keep knocking it, and generally niggles a bit to remind me it's there. Would love to be able to move it to my arms like many with the Dexcom users seem able to do. Think most of this is being a cyclist I have tiny little arms with nothing for the Medtronic sensor to get into.

Shower wise I think you are meant to disconnect the transmitter part which has the battery on it as well. Although a large waterproof sticky pad over it seems to work just as well.

Have you tried the Enlite sensors from Medtronic? They've got rid of the harpoon insertion that the old ones use, and go in vertically like a Quickset. The needle is much smaller and I rarely have one that hurts when it goes in now. I wear mine mostly on my lower back and I don't know its there once its in.

You don't need to disconnect the transmitter to shower. I wear a sticky over it all the time though as I find it stops it moving around and means I don't notice the sensor when I'm wearing it.

That's the one with the blue inserter gadget like the quickset you press and zap in it goes? Sounds a lot like the one I've been using, to be honest haven't paid much attention to the name of it other than it being from Medtronic and it annoys me. Am due for another on Friday so I'll probably pay more attention this time around to what it's called.

If its the old ones you're using, they come with a long blue inserter and are put in at an angle. It really was like a harpoon. The new Enlites have a grey/dark blue inserter that fires in vertically. Pics here http://www.shootuporputup.co.uk/2011/04/let-there-be-enlite/

Ahh, it's the Enlites than, although in a different colour scheme (blue with grey button) just to be awkward. Sadly still not had one with doesn't hurt yet though :(

Hi Michelle, I have had Type 1 since 1939 and recently found I have hypoglycaemic unawareness. NICE has recommended that this is a reason they accept for CGM on NHS. It took me 2 years pleading to get it. Keep trying. I am sending this because I have 4 Dexcom 7 plus sensors in date till 19/02/2014 which need a new home. Could this help a little.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service