How do I Know what type of diabetes do I have 
type 1 Diabetes, type 2, type 1.5  other   Gestational pre 
what is the way to know

Views: 33

Replies to This Discussion

there are specific tests, though speculation from your age and symptoms is likely to be a reasonable indicator... I would definitely recommend seeing a doctor since all types are very serious and need to be treated appropriately.
Type 1 is usually when the body creates very little or no insulin at all in the human body or it is not of a good enough quality to be of any help.
Type 2 is when the body produces some but not enough insulin or again not of good enough quality.
I believe the only way you can tell is by specific blood tests and your results after taking medication.
Go to your GP or your practise Diabetes Nurse if you have one.

I do not know went wrong in my case but for many years they did not diagnose me at all even though I presented with all the symptoms and lost so much weight. When they finally did diagnose me (by accident it seems) they diagnosed me as Type 2 (because of my age) and in fact it took too really nasty episodes to realise that in fact I was Type 1!!!! It is worth checking to make sure!
Ha ha! I honestly can categorically state that you do NOT have gestational diabetes! That is suffered by pregnant LADIES only! I am not a doctor or nurse (just a fellow diabetic) but even I can tell you that you do not have the gestational kind!
Best wishes!
I have now known I have diabetes for about 2 monthes
from my level being around 141 (7.8)
I am now hovering around 117 (6.5)
I have cut right down on carbs sugar and beer ( i still have a glass of red wine)
I am walking more than I did before
at this moment in time I am trying to control by diet should I consider going onto tablets?
You sound as though you are doing pretty well at the moment. Congratulations. Sometimes it can be controlled on diet alone. It is not cureable and you may need to go on tablets if you are not already on them, and MAYBE on to insulin eventually, but that is down to the doctor to decide. Keep up the good work!
You are Type 2. Sounds pretty obvious to me. I'd love levels like that.

If you are not taking any medication for it, it can only be Type 2.
Colin, Sounds like you were diagnosed around same time as I was. Sep 2010. I have transformed my diet. Cut out all sugars wherever possible, no fizzy drinks, chocolate etc. And gone heavy on vegetables, pulses, sweet potato with smaller portions of chicken. Dropped from high 11.6% HbA1c blood sugar level to 7.7% via exercise/diet. And now added Metformin which has dropped me to 6.7% with 2 months use. I was testing my blood glucose 6x per day to see how things affected me. Now only 2x per day. I use a Bayer’s Contour USB meter which is small easy to use and pricker is easy too. As a Metformin user I now get all NHS prescriptions free. Next HbA1c is 14 Sep 2011 a long way away with summer in between to get plenty of exercise. And am still working to get my weight down even further because my Doctor said that the less fat on you the easier it is for the little insulin that I do have to do its work.

I found discovering I was diabetic a massive shock and am just coming to terms with it. My logic now is be sensible and do everything I can to keep the levels down and that way I hope I can stave off the longer terms effects of this disease.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service