Do you see a lot of people who are on disability due to their diabetes? I see and hear about that all the time. Some of them seem to be legitimately disabled for whatever reason, but some of them seem to think that they are disabled due to their diabetes? Part of me thinks it is because of lack of education on how to care for diabetes. I think that some of it is due to people not being taught from the beginning that they can live normally (for the most part) with this disease. Maybe it is lack of knowledge of the doctors. I am not sure. I live in a very rural area. Does anyone else feel that diabetes is "over-used" as a disability? Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that none of these people are disabled. I am just saying that some of them aren't.

Views: 42

Replies to This Discussion

I think education is the key, but not just about one's health. While I was imprisoned within the Consumer Finance Industry I saw a lot of disability cases where if the customers had a better education, they could have been self-sufficient. I saw many cases where disability was awarded because a person with a condition could no longer work in their former occupation (a more physically demanding blue collar job), and did not have the education to be trained in another field (a less physically demanding white collar job). Unfortuanatley there are people that will work extremely hard to become labeled as "disabled".
I also live in a rural community and the same thing happens here...not just with diabetes, and also mainly men. There are a lot of men in our community whose wives (if they have one) work, while they hunt, fish, etc. and collect disability. I guess I am cynical. But, to me...I don't think that is lack of education so much as someone thinking they get a free ticket or that they are owed something. That is probably harsh, but I have seen so many people (especially working in a legal office) looking for and finding ways to buck the system.
Though I've never heard of anyone with Diabetes being on Disability, or BECAUSE of Diabetes I should say, I tend to agree with Jolie here. We live in a "sue happy" country, where a LOT of people are just plain ole lazy, and want a *free* handout! Sad, but true!

I've known many people who are on Disability (Social Security), who I don't think deserve to be! I've known people that SHOULD be on Disabilty who've been denied over and over again! And then there's our *government help* area. I've known MANY who don't neccessarily deserve or qualify for help, but they know how to "work" the system so they get that help. Here I am, uninsured, unable to do much of any kind of work (NOT because of Diabetes - I have other issues), and I get no help what so ever. Not that I'm asking for financial help, because I'm not - but some type of health insurance would be REALLY helpful! But, ONLY because I have no children under the age of 18 living with me, that I am legally responsible for, I am not eligable for "government help". Yea, that's SO fair! GAH
The really sad part is that work for my states Family Assistance Program. I do interviewing for eligibility for Medicaid & Food Stamps. I have seen people who have come into my office with no income & state to me that they are applying for their disability "cause I got sugar." It happens. And the sad part is that most of these people have other health problems than, it seems to me, could be prevented or delayed if they had the education & the desire to better treat their diabetes. And you are right, it is very sad that we, as diabetics, can't get help and end up uninsured. Those are always the hardest interviews for me. The ones that have lost a job, or come up on hard times, and need health insurance & they have diabetes. I have to say "sorry, we don't have anything for you". That sucks.
From what I have seen, these same people that are lazy, think that they are owed something, etc., usually have a minimal education. This can be blamed on lack of ambition, financial hardship, learning disability, pure laziness, etc. They are ill equiped to survive in this world on their own, and end up being supported by the government (and us). Until our society demands that every one carry their own weight, this will continue. It is only getting worse.

Several years ago I met two men that could not turn the heads from one side to the other. Mr. J was a white man that was born without a neck. In order to look to the left or right, he had to turn his waist in the direction he wanted to look. Mr. J did not let his "disability" stop him, and when I met him he was a manager for Geogia Pacific Corporation, and making a lot of money.

Mr. R was a black man that had his neck broken in a car accident. He too could only see to the left or the right by turning his waist in the direction he wanted to look. Mr. R did not have much of an education and was working menial jobs when he had his accident. He was given his disability. It did not seem to matter that Mr. R was an muscualr man in his thirties and could still do other work. In fact, when I met him he was getting his disability check and working odd jobs (he explained he had to be paid in cash and why).

Mr. R could only receive his disability by it being given to him. Our government / society seems to have a thing about making people sweat, bust their tails, etc., to earn a living. I agree with all of y'alls comments, but I also beleive that the government uses disability payments to subsidize those that are lowly educated and can only earn a minimum wage (and don't get me started on the minimum wage).

And Cara, I agree with you. It does suck that we cannot help those that are trying to help themselves. Our society / government is backwards in so many ways.
Most people are on disability from diabetes due to complications from diabetes. I am one of them. I have neuropathy affecting my heart, so it is hard for me to work. I am trained as a CNA (certified nursing assistant), so undue stress on my heart isn't good. I am currently in school though to get a degree in Computer Forensics where I can get off of disability.
That's great that you are working to find another career. Complications from diabetes are horrible and often cause disability. It makes me proud to know that there are people who are working to help themselves! I had an aunt who was on disability due to complications from diabetes, so I do understand that. I just hate to see the people who use diabetes alone as an excuse to apply for disability. That makes me sad. Good luck with your degree! (It sounds interesting!)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service