Guess I may as well get us started. How about we all tell a little about ourselves and where we're from?

I'm Kris. I've been a T1 since late 1988 (I was just over one year old). I guess that kinda helped me, since I didn't have to adjust or "get used to it." I take shots of Lantus and Novolog, and I'm in pretty good control. My A1C can use a little work though.

I've lived in Miami, FL all of my life, and both of my parents are from Cuba. I currently go to Florida International University, with no major just yet. Besides that, I play guitar, read, the usual.

Anyone else?

Views: 57

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, my name is Travis and I am a diabetic (followed by a chorus of "Hi Travis"). Sorry, but I just could not resist!

I was diagnosed with Type 2 in May of 2006. I have been able to keep my type 2 in control through medication, diet, and exercise. My wife and I own a home inspection company in Statesboro, GA (about 50 miles north of Savannah, GA). My hobbies include deer hunting, fishing, gardening, wood working, and reading (especially at TuDiabetes). I have been married for 22 years and I am the proud father of 3 spoiled dogs.
"hi travis!" LOL
I'm Sharon. I've been a T1 since I was 11 years old. I take lantus and humalog and in general have pretty good control. I live in Atlanta, Georgia with two ferrets and a crazy cat. I play guitar, read, sing, and watch movies. I'm very laid back and open minded. I have Irish/Scottish blood and most of my relatives live in South Carolina. I love music. What else? Oh, I have a thing for werewolves. I own over 25 werewolf movies. I guess I am kind of crazy, but I get the job done! :)
I'm Stacie. I was diagnosed type 1 a few days before my 10th birthday. I'm using a minimed pump and working on getting a new one w/ CGMS since my warranty ran out last summer. My A1c was 6.8 in February, and I'm waiting impatiently for the results from my last appointment I really enjoy running, reading, and spending time with my family - I'm married to the most caring man I've ever met, and we are the proud parents of 2 dogs, a cat and a fish :-)

Oh yeah, I'm in the southern part of Virginia. Very rural, so I have to drive an hour to go to my endo office.
I'm Manny. I am originally from Venezuela, but been in the US since 2000. We first lived in Phoenix, AZ and moved to Orlando, FL in 2003. I was diagnosed with T1 in early 2003, but the first time the D word was mentioned in regards to me was in late 2002, when my doctor at the time thought I was T2.

I started on the Minimed 515 pump in the summer of 2005 and LOVE IT! :)

I spend most of my day online, as I am in charge of the Student Portal at Full Sail (www.fullsail.com), an Entertainent Media college in Winter Park (a smaller city in the heart of the Orlando metropolitan area). I also have a company (www.AvanceAssociates.com) through which I offer translation and internet marketing services, mostly to Small Businesses.

I travel quite often to South Florida (was in Miami earlier this week, for vacation) and I had the chance to spend the XMas break over by Savannah and South Carolina: what a cool area!

Anyway, I wanted to ask you guys who would feel inclined to serve as Admin for this group?

Also, what do you think would be an appropriate icon to represent ourselves? Something sunny? A hurricane flag (bad joke, I know)? :D
Manny, the description for this group says it's for as far north as the Carolinas, but Virginia is not included in the Northeast states listed on their description either. I know there are a couple other Virginians out there besides me, so could we include Virginia? It makes more sense to me for Virginia to be Southeast, so that's why I joined this group.
Manny -
I work at a college too. My boss went recently with one of her extended family members to visit your school! She is the mother of a Type 1 pumper too!
Some of the South Florida people are talking about a meet-up, interested in a bit of a drive? :)
hey manny i'm here in 0 town too! sanford to be exact :)
Hi all, I'm, Chloe. Diagnosed Type 1 in March 2007. I manage my D. with Levemir and Novolog. I am currently "honeymooning" but I have yet to see the beach! I live in Birmingham, Al, and work as a Graphic Designer, so you'd think my page would look a little spiffier (Note to self:Will work on that.) I used to own 2 Ferrets, but now I spoil my toy poodle who is definately my baby. I am a vegetarian, and enjoy long distance running. I also grew up in the theatre, so besides having an "off" sense of humor, I like to spend my spare time performing on stage.
I am Jolie. I live in Louisiana, way down south in the woods...seriously. I live with my husband of 18 years, our three children (a daughter-17 and two sons, 15 and 14) and our three dogs, Angel, Piksi and Scamp. We have a house on 26.5 acres of land. It really is in the woods, but its beautiful. I work for a lawfirm in our old home-town (we moved here about 4 years ago) so I have an hour commute each way. But, I only work Monday through Thursday. I am usually on the computer all day at work and then again from about 9-11 at home. My current employer will be retiring soon (within the next two years) so I am getting my internet/outsourcing business up and running so that I'll have enough clients to support me once I stop working for him.

I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes almost five years ago and I've had tight control and then very loose control. Its all about discipline and attitude for me. I just got out of a loose control situation when I ended up in the hospital a couple of weeks ago so I've tightened the reins and finding this site has definitely helped.
I'm 29, living with my wonderful husband in east Tennessee. I'm working on my major in Geology and love backpacking, caving--anything outside! I was diagnosed with Type I in 2000, but am quite fortunate to also have an older sister who's a Type I as well so I already ate the correct "diet". I'm currently on the Paradigm 512 and predominately vegetarian (although I can't resist the pig!) We're proud parents of a Giant Schnauzer named Django and a Maine Coon mix named Minerva.
Hello! I'm Melanie in Hiram, a suburb just northwest of Atlanta. Atlanta is only a 30 minute drive for me. I was diagnosed Type 1 in September of 2006. I first started on shots of Novolog and Lantus but changed to the Minimed 522 in March / April 2007. It took a little to get used to, but I'm loving it now. I enjoy raising my two boys (4 and 1 years of age), cooking (love to try new recipes) and being outdoors. Got to love living around Atlanta, so much to do and see.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service