hi everybody !
our forum had frozen for a while, so I decided to discuss a new topic, very important for us wegeterians, I suppose
so, the surveys idenntified that a vegeterian diet leads to many deficiencies - especialy iron,calcium, zinc and vitamin B12 deficiency
but there's also some hipervitaminosises, like hypervitaminosis A and D
The mostly result of this lacks is osteoporosis
very often we have problems with covering a need of proteins
some of us struggle with an anaemia

that's why my question is: how do you feel and deal with it?
is it apply to you in some way?

or maybe its just a myth?

Views: 37

Replies to This Discussion

RE to this:
the another question is: Is there any relation with diabetes or not?
I'm a vegan, 75%+ raw, and out of curiosity, I pulled up yesterday's food log. It was a pretty typical day.

Iron: 95% daily allowance
calcium: 80% daily allowance
zinc: 80% daily allowance
B12: I supplement, so 200% (More meat-eaters have a B12 deficiency than vegetarians, by the way. B12 is everyone's issue, not just ours.)

For the hyper vitamins
A: 557% daily allowance
D: 0% daily allowance (I don't see how a vegetarian would get hyper D unless they were eating supplemented foods. I get my D from sunshine, so if I were to overdose, I'd also have sun poisoning.)

Others you didn't mention that are really high for me yesterday:

C: 902% daily allowance
Fiber: 258% daily allowance
Riboflavin: 207%
B6: 507%
Folate: 292%
Pantothenic Acid: 216%
Copper: 407%
manganese: 497%

Other lows:

Selenium: 33%

Everything else appears to be within normal parameters.
My protein is at 42g which I feel good about. My doctor told me to try to get 50g per day, but I'm building good muscle from exercise and don't have any symptoms of low protein, so I feel comfortable at this level.
I've never had anemia, so I can't really speak to that issue.

I don't know whether any of this is a myth or not, but I grew up vegetarian and went vegan when I was diagnosed with diabetes and then went high raw in October. since going vegan, I've lost about a third of my body weight and I feel awesome. But who knows what my health will be like after being vegan for ten years? I figure I'll just keep doing the things that make me healthier so long as they are making me healthier and if they stop making me healthier, I'll play health detective again until I figure out what I need to change.
hi sparrowrose,
Im glad your results are impressed
but I didnt mind every vegan people - I can say also that the level of vitamins is pretty good in my case, but from time to time I recognize the lack of magnesium an vit.A - it's just washed out of water I drink every day
and I havent had any anaemia
I think that the problem with hipervitaminosis D dont concern mature people, I mean grown up, becouse they dont need as much as children then
thanks a lot for diskussion

I think deficiencies on a vegetarian or vegan diet have more to do with poor eating than with eschewing meat, eggs, or dairy. (After all, omnivores who eat poorly develop deficiencies, too, especially of B12 as sparrowrose said.) I track my nutrient intake periodically and my macronutrient intake every day and often get 70+ grams of protein, much more fiber than called or (50 or so grams instead of 20), plenty of vitamin A from raw and cooked veggies and fruits, plenty of magnesium from whole grains, fruit, and vegetables, B12 from supplements, iron from nearly everything (it's better absorbed with the addition of something with vitamin C, like raw fruits and vegetables [cooking degrades vitamin C]), and calcium from fortified milks, nuts, vegetables, grains, etc.

With that said, it is important to be watchful over your diet to eat healthy, whole foods, but I don't think veganism or vegetarianism is so apt to cause deficiencies per se. :)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service