I am classified as a T2, although I suspect I am LADA. For an explanation on that, you can read my previous discussion, but I warn you it is long!

I have been on Metformin from diagnosis about 4.5 years ago, and started on insulin about four years ago. I had tried Byetta back when it first came out, and I did not like the lows I got, nor did I like having to cart it around. It felt like a ball and chain. So Januvia came out, and I tried that and it worked well for maybe a year, then it crapped out on me and numbers started climbing. I switched from Levemir to Lantus and was told to simply work on my morning fasting numbers, so I got up to an all-time high dose of 75 units of Lantus per day. I have never used mealtime insulin.

When Victoza came out, I asked to start it, and literally within a couple of days my numbers started coming down. They had told me that the first week on the 0.6 I would not notice anything, but I definitely did. I tapered up to the 1.2 and by the end of the month I had actually cut my Lantus from 75 units to 60 units. Needless to say, I was thrilled! I sort of plateaued though and was unable to decrease my insulin any more than that. They told me to up the Victoza to 1.8 and I did that, but did not notice any difference in my numbers. My A1C did go down to 6.5, which the docs were very happy with.

So I have been on the 1.8 for about 5 months now, and about a month ago I started having lows in the morning, meaning 75 and below. This is a signal to me to reduce my basal insulin. After I had one major low of 58 one morning, I cut down on the insulin more, and I am now on 32 units of Lantus and 1.8 victoza.

I am assuming it is the Victoza that is allowing me to suddenly have these lows in the mornings, although I find it odd that I plateaued and then suddenly had to drastically decrease again. One thing I have learned about the big “D” is that it is unpredictable, so I am just trying to be prepared.

I would definitely recommend it to folks if they are curious about it. Like I said, I personally think I am LADA, and I am currently waiting blood work to see what my pancreas is actually doing, but in the meantime I feel the drug is pretty safe.

Tags: 2, LADA, Type, Victoza

Views: 872

Replies to This Discussion

I have been on Victoza since it came out. I am on the 1.8 dosage. I have split the dosage to .06 2 hours before lunch and 1.2 two hours before dinner. I find that it gives me better coverage or simply less carb craving and a feeling of full faster. I was finding the carb craving more around supper time.

I heard Dr B talking about this on a recent web cast about splitting doses. I have lost over 100 pounds on this stuff and keep loosing weight. Side effects have inclued headaches and some lows. All easily correctable with half a glucose pill.

I am glad the Victoza is reducing your need for supplemental insulin.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service