Hello Fellow Virginians! I am giving an informational presentation on scuba diving and diabetes in March. Scuba diving is something I love doing and when I was first diagnosed I thought that I wouldn't be able to dive again. I'm happy to say that is not the case and that I have completed a number of dives since my diagnosis without any diabetes-related problems. I wanted to share my knowledge and experience on this issue with other people with diabetes who may be interested in diving. Even if you aren't interested in diving feel free to come on out to the seminar. I would love to meet with others in the area who are like me.

Here are the details:
Date: 18 March 2009
Time: 7:00PM
Where: NOVA Dive Center, 116 Edds Lane, Countryside Shopping Center, Sterling, VA, 20165

Feel free to send me an email if you have any questions.
Thanks!
Melissa

Views: 10

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

hi.. i actually have a question or 2 about D and scuba diving. for my spring break last year i was in mexico and had the opportunity to scuba dive (assisted of course i have no certification) but when i said i had diabetes i was turned away. The instructor was an american who then told me i was too much of a risk and responsibility and that most instructors even in the US would not take me or allow me to dive because of my diabetes... my question, was this a load of BS? or is there some truth to it?
I have never been turned away by a dive operation because of my diabetes. However, some places do require that you have a medical release form signed by your doctor that says its ok for you to go diving. And unfortunately there are other places that won't take on divers with diabetes at all (because of liability/legal concerns). Up until recently, people with diabetes were generally told that they could not dive, but that has changed over the past few years as studies have been completed that show that people with diabetes can safely enjoy scuba diving. My best advice is to talk to the dive shops in your area and/or where you are traveling to and find out what their policies are on diabetes.
ok thank you !!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service