My name is Renata Porter and I have a 16 year old diabetic. (and a 10 year old one). Neither of my kids are on the pump, which is fine by me. My teenager, Kelsey, has had diabetes since she was 4 so it's just been a way of life for her....

I would be happy to offer any help I can.

I am also a blogger www.thediabeticduo.com

Views: 43

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you! @ with Type 1 and I thought I was bad with me and my daughter both having Type!. Your a trooper!
Hi. May need your advice in the future (she is 13). So far, so good for the most part. We could not get by without her pump, though the school nurse told me the trend is for the older teens to resist pumping and go on MDI. She had good control on MDI for the four months she was on it before pumping. Once she is older, I am assuming BGs will be more stable, I'm sure MDI would work well once again, if she should ever choose to go back to shots. Hoping Smart Insulin or one of the other newer insulins will be released before too many years. That will make her life so much easier.
My kids are now 17 and 11...can't believe time is flying by. Ask away...
Here's a question I'm curious about. There have been various ups and downs with management since she was dx'd at age 8. Extremely wacky highs and lows were experienced for about six months before she was dx'd with Hashimotos at 9, which fluctuations became more stable when she went on Synthroid. At 11, puberty and huge increases in insulin evening and early a.m. hours, which would stop on a dime the very same evening when her basals were back to normal. Therefore very little sleep. Since menstruation, have noticed a different pattern (highs a few days before, lows a few days during) but TDD has dropped quite a bit, as well as her evening, early a.m. basals. She seems much easier to manage overall. However, occasionally (not always) she experiences a need for more insulin in the early a.m. hours (4 to 9am). I think this is the start of the adult "Dawn effect." This is new but does not happen every night. Wonder if, as the child becomes a teen (and their body transitions into adulthood), their basal pattern changes and they will experience Dawn effect? If so, once they experience Dawn Effect all the time and if the basal pattern does shift, does that indicate they are now an adult as far as adjusting insulin/basal rates are concerned? And, do adult Type 1 women have a stable basal pattern in general (even taking into account menstruation)? Is there more stability regarding blood sugar control for adult women? I would hate to think she will spend her life sleepless and adjusting insulin as we have had to do throughout her childhood.
Well, first and foremost woman or not...she will always be changing her regemin. Anything and everything can affect her bs numbers. As you have already noticed puberty and growth switches things up a bit. My daughter has about 3-4 months in a row where she is high just before her period. Then she has that month where we can't get her numbers up. Same thing with growth. My son will have about one week a month where is taking HUGE amounts of insulin...then he goes back down to a lower number. It should calm down a bit as they get older, however it will never just be one program for the rest of their lives. Thats why it's ever so important to have them involved now in why you make adjustments because it's going to continue throughout their life. They need to understand their body and what's going on and why this time they need more insulin...and then why they are backing off. It's not an easy disease and never will be. They (and you) just need to accept the fact that you have to stay on your toes. Sorry, wish there was an easy answer.

Ps, I have never heard of Hashimotos. Kelsey's thyroid quit working at around 8 and went on Synthroid herself.
Hashimotos thyroiditis. Not sure this is one of the official names for hypothyroid or a variation of hypothyroid. But she takes Synthroid and everything has been fine, just a pill once a day. I need to post a thread in the adult Type 1 forum asking for experiences with Type 1 at various ages. I had assumed that, apart from menstruation, blood sugars would remain much more stable because she would be fully grown and there would not be the constant adjustments from growth hormone at night. I know after menopause there is a problem with hypoglycemia at night, sometimes severe. And pregnancy/childbirth a whole other issue. Worried mainly about the college years when she will first be on her own........
Mine has hypothyroid, been on Synthroid (now a NZ comparable) for almost 10 years.

We all worry about the moving out part, that's why getting them to work with you early is essential. They are going to screw up, but hopefully you have taught them enough to where they realise their mistakes and how lucky they are and move forward.

In their youth is when it's craziest, however along with the monthly hormone imbalance there is going to be stress, tiredness, over activity, lack of activity....all of that and more affects BS#'s. She will get it, have faith in that.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service