Do you "cross-over" friends from one social network to another? Are your TuDiabetes friends also your Facebook friends or LinkedIn contacts?

For me, I tend to limit Facebook to my personal friends (those who I've spent time with in person, in school or social situations); LinkedIn to my professional acquaintances (I'll add personal friends who maybe could help me professionally); and TuDiabetes to my friends and support-group from here. I believe they all have a purpose and I stick to those purposes.

I've never met any of you in person, by the way, and none of my Tu friends are connected to me on Facebook or LinkedIn (I did join some D-related groups, including DHF on LinkedIn, though). With few exceptions, none of my current or former co-workers are Facebook friends either. Of course, if I do meet you, I'll probably friend you on Facebook because you're all such great people.

Also, Tu is the only social network where I'll accept a friend-request from anyone - I'm pretty selective on the others. It was alarming when I first joined how many people wanted to be my "friend" on Day One, but I think that adds to the sense of community and purpose here. We join Tu because of a commonality that we share, not to drum up our friend/connection counts.

So, do you use multiple online social networks? And if so, do you intermingle friends and contacts from each?

Views: 167

Replies to This Discussion

I use the same networks you do Scott, for the same purposes, and with the same restrictions. I do have a Twitter account but tend to use it only for 'occasions', like the BBT.

I put my FB page on my page here but have only connected w/ a few people in both. I've also connected with some other people in both however I have restrained my urge to be a poster boy for diabetes on FB as I'd have to write a book. I showed the straight people my tattoo though...

I mostly use fb and Tu, I have some twitter accounts but don't do anything with them. A while ago I figured it would be more useful to hang out at one site than to look at the other ones. I was a member @ the ADA forums for a couple of years but their repeated format changes that logged people out and blocked members seemed to slough off membership. I've seen some (linked) threads on CWD and found the vitriol amusing although to me, it seems like if you are like "cure or bust", you are sort of admitting you are giving up? I don't want to even consider giving up or being complacent for a minute. The same thing w/ blogs, I've checked some of them out and they are interesting but I'm never sure I'm looking at the best one. I use diabetesmine for a "news" source but miss it and sometimes read sixuntilme, on slow days @ tu?

I don't want to even consider giving up or being complacent for a minute.
Beautiful! Totally agree it's the waiting for something better to come along that can get us into big trouble. One day at a time - trite but true.

Not even one day at a time but "one test at a time!" or, to continue my pillaging of Henry V:

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger..."

Grrowl...

+1

Way to go jrt & Rocky. I'm in it till the wall comes down! Fight ON!

Tis not the end I fear, nor ragged paths with pain and tears.
My only fears and there are a few. Is that my bodies succumbs before my mind!
That beauty is seen but no more touched.
Or that I cannot the tears of a child wipe dry,
Nor my hearts warmth compensate a child to smile!
This 'me'would be an object and no more a man,
and thus is nothing at all.
Therefore I will stand amongst the brave,
blow upon blow, blood for blood you make me brave.
Tis no small thing to stand upon a public wall,
and show your bleeding wounds.
But this I do, for you make me strong.
My worrier friends a multitude beside me now.
Bend we do, but Never break.
One body firm, unyielding to this Outrageous misfortune.
Fight on Fight on.

Love it ;)

I haven't linked my Facebook page here. Although my name "Scott E" isn't particularly anonymous and you can probably figure out my last name if you tried, I still enjoy the bit of anonymity of using a handle. This way, someone won't Google my name and find out what I post here -- it keeps the D community small. But now that I know how to find AcidRock's true identity... :) (not that it matters to me at all).

I have use Facebook, on occasion, to post D-related stuff, but I try to keep it minimal. When I was in the JDRF walk I posted a link to my pledge page, and occasionally post links related to seemingly big news on the cure front. (None have come to fruition so far, obviously). But I did get in an argument with a cousin on Facebook after posting a rather unfriendly rant towards the FDA (relating to suppressing technologies that are approved in other countries), so I've backed off on that stuff a bit.

Rocky I always find your comments interesting, but that tat, might get you into 'Hells Club', But you would get ur car stripped where I come from if a cop saw a tat like that haha! You brave man! "ADA" Another Diabetes Association? "CWD", Canadians With Dia, well you get the rest. Wozit meen?

CWD is "Children with diabetes" there was a big thread ***excoriating*** the JDRF for putting some of their $$$ into research other than a cure and other programs. Lots of FBombs, etc. I have perceived that parents are frustrated and the input/ output model probably doesn't work well with kids and I was old (15/16?) @ DX but I still think that there is a need for research beyond "a cure".

Rocky, Im sending you a poison oak toilet seat cover! You just managed to change jargon back into jargon!Look, I'm old, Tired, My lateral thinking has shrunk with everything else. Dementia looms.

HAHAHA I love it, a poison oak toilet seat LOL muleman you are too funny! Dementia my a$$.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service