We got this communication from the World Diabetes Day team... we're almost two months away from the BIG day!

=======================================

1. Bring diabetes to light!
2. The monument challenge
3. World Diabetes Day candles
4. The virtual candle
5. How will you bring diabetes to light?

1. Bring diabetes to light
-----------------------------------------------

With only two months to go to World Diabetes Day, excitement is mounting. We are receiving information from all over the world about the activities that are being planned or organized. All of them will help bring diabetes to light in the international year of the child with diabetes.

2. The monument challenge

One of the calls to action for the World Diabetes Day 2008 campaign is to light iconic landmarks and buildings in blue on November 14. A month ago we listed the first 36 confirmed monuments. With two months still to go, we now have a total of 67. The latest to join are listed below. View the map showing all the confirmed monuments at http://www.worlddiabetesday.org/nl-monuments.

Is your participating monument confirmed but not on the website? Contact wdd@idf.org and we'll add it to the list.

Can't find a monument near you? Why not approach the management of an iconic site or building and request participation. A guide to help you is available in English, French and Spanish from http://www.worlddiabetesday.org/nl-monument-challenge. The guide contains useful information on how to make the most of your lighting opportunity.

3. World Diabetes Day candles

You don't need to light the tallest building in your town to mark world diabetes day. Why not light a candle and at the same time help bring life to a child with diabetes? World Diabetes Day candles are available from http://www.worlddiabetesday.org/nl-candles or can be ordered in bulk at discounted rates from Dominique.Robert@idf.org. The official World Diabetes Day candles come in boxes of two for the modest price of five Euros plus shipping. Income generated from sales of the candles is donated to the International Diabetes Federation's Life for a Child Program. Find out more about this Program at http://www.lifeforachild.org.

4. The virtual candle

Pushed for time but want to help bring diabetes to light? Participation in this year's campaign is just a click away. Light the virtual candle at http://www.worlddiabetesday.org/nl-virtualcandle!

Webmasters, visit the same link to find out how you can share the virtual candle through your site.

5. How will you bring diabetes to light?

Whatever your budget and no matter the time you have available, you can participate in World Diabetes Day 2008. See http://www.worlddiabetesday.org/nl-activities for ideas on how to join in.

Typical activities to mark the day include walks, bike rides, proclamation signings, celebrity events, press conferences, diabetes screenings and human blue circles, among many others.

Once you have organized an event, you can inspire others to take action by sharing it with the global diabetes community. Register your awareness-raising events at http://www.worlddiabetesday.org/nl-add-activity.

You are one of almost 10,000 people reading this newsletter. Please send it on to anyone you think would benefit from the information and ask them to sign up for the next one - due on September 25.

With kind regards

Phil Riley on behalf of the World diabetes Day team.

Tags: WDD

Views: 35

Replies to This Discussion

An idea that I read about in EsTuDiabetes (they are going to be doing it in Mexico): LET'S ALL DRESS UP IN BLUE!!!

When you are dressed up in blue, post your photo back here in TuDiabetes. We can then create a collage with all the photos of everyone in blue.
Thats such an AWESOME idea!!!!!!!!! I cant wait! :D
I agree, Manny. Excellent idea. I'm going to be posting about this on www.diabetesmine.com very shortly. Let's gets some folks rallied!

Best,
AmyT
If we get enough photos of people dress up in blue, we will make up a collage poster (available for everybody to download, print and distribute) and eventually we can produce another awareness video...
I am going to ask the kids in the high school choir program where I teach to dress in blue that day so I can take a big photo of them. They are already asking me about the blue circle pin I wear on my nametag.
That sounds awesome!!!
Something else to consider:

On World Diabetes Day 2007, more than 207,694 people from 70 countries on seven continents walked together to help raise awareness about diabetes.

Thanks to the impressive support from people all over the world, the 2007 walk was the biggest ever in the history of the World Diabetes Foundation. Once again we request you to join the Global Diabetes Walk campaign on World Diabetes Day 14. Nov. 2008

Please sign up for a walk and join the World Diabetes Foundation and the International Diabetes Federation in creating awareness of diabetes around the world on 14th November - World Diabetes Day 2008.

Please log on to www.globaldiabeteswalk.net and download free toolkit and see the walks.
Amiga,
I understand what you are trying to say. World Diabetes Day was themed around children in 2007 and will be again this year. That is not to say that they are the only ones affected, though.

I strongly feel that the more attention WDD gets, the better it will be for everyone: it is our chance to dress up in blue or do something blue... whatever you feel like, and take a day (preparing for it, of course) to educate others and raise awareness big time.

If you come to think of it, you can contact local media and tell them about Nov. 14, contact local authorities and try to get them to light up a building in blue, talk to folks in your office about it... you get the idea. That way, misperceptions like the one about adults who have diabetes being all thought of as having type 2 can be gradually worked on.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as an oversimplification of a problem that has been going on for years, largely thanks to media conveying information incorrectly: this is just a way of saying... we can ALL as people touched by diabetes help make WDD a big day for diabetes awareness at large.

Stay in touch, amiga.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service