Last updated: April 20, 2015
The Diabetes Hands Foundation (“DHF”, “us” or “we”) respects the privacy of the visitors and members to its websites. We want you to understand the types of information we collect and what we do with that information. DHF offers several social networking sites, including www.tudiabetes.org and www.estudiabetes.org. DHF’s websites provide a range of content hosting, communication, education and entertainment services and other services that may be offered from time to time (collectively, the “Sites”). All content posted by members within the TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes forums is visible to the general public, including those who are not members of our communities. Comments posted in our chat rooms are visible only to registered community members.
DHF does not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. DHF requests that children under the age of 13 not use the Service nor submit any personal information to the Service. Since information regarding children under the age of 13 is not collected, DHF does not knowingly use or distribute personal information regarding children under the age of 13. If DHF obtains actual knowledge that it has collected personal information about a child under the age of 13, that information will be immediately deleted from our database.
Information We Collect
When you use the Sites, we may collect the following types of information:
- Personally Identifiable Information -– You may be asked to provide personally identifiable information (“PII”) in order to register for Membership, use certain Services and/or obtain support from DHF. This information may include your name, e-mail address, as well as medical/health information (such as whether you have diabetes. Members are not required to provide medical/health information to use our Service. If however, you choose to provide medical/health information in public areas of the site (Forum, Chat) this information becomes public information. Please exercise caution when deciding whether or not to disclose your medical/health information. Use common sense: keep your contributions search engine-safe to avoid sharing more about yourself than you feel comfortable doing. Other Members may also provide us with your e-mail address, username in order to e-mail you content. We also collect other profile data including but not limited to personal interests, gender and age in order to assist Members in finding and communicating with each other.
- Log information -– When you visit and use the Sites, our servers automatically record information that your computer’s browser sends whenever you visit any website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, IP (Internet Protocol) address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request, and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your computer’s browser. This information is used to help DHF analyze aggregate site usage and we do not link the log information to any PII you submit while on our Sites.
- Member communications –- When you send e-mail to DHF, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our Sites. Remember that anything posted to a public area of the Sites can be accessed by the public, and can be used by others (outside DHF) to send you unsolicited communications.
It’s Your Information, You Own It.
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. You own your PII, and we use what you decide to share with us under the terms of this policy. If you’d like us to destroy this PII, we will remove your Member profile at any time if you request it by e-mailing us at privacy AT diabeteshf.org. We’ll do our best to remove any information that is personally attributable to you within 10 days.
Ways We Use Information
We may share with third parties certain pieces of aggregated, non-personal information, such as the number of DHF visitors who searched for a particular term, for example.
In addition to the above, DHF will process your PII for the following purposes:
- Providing our Sites to you, including the display of personalized content, and advertising;
- Auditing, research and analysis in order to maintain, protect and improve our Sites;
- Ensuring the technical functioning of our Sites; and
- Developing new services.
If we propose to use your PII for any purposes other than those described in this Policy, we will offer you an effective way to opt out of the use of your PII for those other purposes. We will not collect or use PII for purposes other than those described in this Policy unless we have obtained your prior consent.
California has passed legislation requiring certain specific disclosures be made available to California residents who use the Internet and provide information that may be used for marketing purposes. That legislation requires any business that discloses a customer’s PII to any third party for direct marketing purposes to provide the customer a method for obtaining the names, addresses and certain other specified details of anyone who might have received that PII. We offer this option to any Member, regardless of whether or not you are a California resident. As such, you may request this information from us by writing to:
Diabetes Hands Foundation.
1962 University Ave, #1
Berkeley, CA 94704
Attention: Privacy Rights
or by sending an e-mail to privacy AT diabeteshf.org. You can also reach us by telephone at 510-898-1301. We are not obligated to respond to more than one such request from you per calendar year.
Member profile information including members’ pictures and usernames, are displayed to people in order to facilitate Member interaction in the DHF social networking communities. Email addresses are used for the purposes of inviting new friends to join DHF, and to send notifications related to the Sites. Members within the DHF Sites communicate with each other through the DHF Sites, without disclosing their email addresses. Members’ full names are never directly revealed to other Members. To facilitate searching for and finding friends and acquaintances on the Sites, DHF allows visitors to search for other Members through the Search on the Sites, using criteria such as username, hometown, and type of diabetes.
We may also use a Member’s email address to send updates, a newsletter or news regarding the Sites.
If you are visiting a DHF site from outside of the United States, please be advised that your information will be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located and our central database is operated. The data protection and other laws of the United States might not be as comprehensive as those in your country. Please be assured that we seek to take reasonable steps to ensure that your privacy is protected. By using our Sites, you consent to the transfer of your information to our facilities and those third parties with whom we share it as described in this Policy.
Promotions, Sweepstakes and Contests
If you chose to enter a promotion, sweepstakes or contest hosted by DHF or sponsored by DHF and/or one of our partners, we (and/or our promotional partner) may ask for your name, address, and email address. You may be asked to provide additional information or to answer certain questions, some of which may be optional, in order to participate. We and/or our partner may contact you in connection with a particular promotion, such as a sweepstakes or contest, in order to update you of your status, administer the promotion, let you know that a promotion has ended, and for other purposes. Promotions that are hosted on the Sites may be sponsored by DHF, may be co-sponsored by DHF and another company, or may be sponsored by companies other than DHF. Some or all of the data collected during a promotion may be shared with the sponsor(s) or companies indicated on the entry form. We may use third-party companies to generate and manage some of our promotional campaigns. We may share with these companies information about those visitors to our web site who participate in the promotional campaigns. This sharing is for the purpose of targeting future campaigns and upgrading visitor information used in reporting statistics.
Third-Party Advertising and Third Party Websites
DHF is not responsible for the privacy policies of websites and services to which the Sites link, or of which the Sites or Service are a part, including but not limited to Discourse. If you provide any information to third parties, different rules regarding the collection and use of your personal information may apply. We strongly suggest you review such third party’s privacy policies before providing any data to them.
Do You Have Questions?
We know that you may have additional questions regarding the privacy of your information when you access the Sites. Please feel free to contact us at privacy AT diabeteshf.org.
Read our other policies: