This is from my orginial post that can be found here

This has been brewing for awhile. I have been having constant nausea and vomiting for over a year now. I saw a gastroenterologist but all he did was send me for an EGD and all he said was it was gastritis and told me to take zofran and protonix. That did nothing.

This is the story of the aftermath.

Over the months after seeing him i kept complaining to my pcp about my symptoms. He tried drug after drug before he said it was time for a second opinion. The Beginning of march i was sent to another gastro doc at a different office. the beginning of march i saw this doctor.

I was in his office for 45 mins talking about everything we have tried in the past and what worked and what didnt. I was also advised that i should not be taking Phenergan or zofran for nausea as it could cause harmful reactions with some of the other meds i take. He gave me tigan which i never heard of but seems to work better than the other 2. He also said that he was sending me for an Ultrasound, gastric emptying study, a set of bloodwork and another EDG since he did not want to go by a scan by another dr.

I went for the Bloodwork a week before the study and that went fine. They took 7 vials and ran tests which some had to be sent down to the mayo clinc. they did not show anything out of the ordinary.

Thursday rolled around, i got a phone call from nuclear medicine reminding me i cannot have anything to eat or drink after midnight. I knew this was going to suck. My first procedure was to start at 8:45 AM which means i had to leave my house by 7:20 to catch the bus over to the hospital to make it there on time.

About 6:45am i got an unexpexcted visitor in my room. Lucky my dog decided he wanted to come visit and the cats took of and hid. I had to get him out of my room and find the cats. Cosmo my fat cat was easy to find, you cant miss him. Lady on the other hand is skinny and is a great hider. It took me a good 30 mins to find her, calm her down and take her upstairs. By this time it was 7:30. My stomach was on edge so i started throwing up. I rinsed my mouth out with ginger ale and spit it out (i did not swallow). It was 7:40 and i was late to catch the bus. Somehow i got lucky, there is a route that goes by my house every hour and was late so i got on that bus and made it to the station with time to spare. I was at the station and behold the bus over to the hospital was also running early. I made it to the hospital by 8:30 AM.

I checked in with guest services. Even though i know that hospital from working there, I have never set foot in the radiology or nuclear medicine dept so I did not know where i was going. I got directions to radiology. Checked in and was taken back to the procedure room.

I got back an the tech was an older russian lady with an accent. She spent about 30 mins taking pictures. That went fine.

I was done about 9:30 and was instructed to go to nuclear medcine. Anyway i walked down there and this is where the fun started. The lady at registartion took my info and then proceded to ask me Strawberry or grape jelly, toast or just plain bread. I opted for strawberry jelly and toast with my egg whites.

9:45am they took me back for my procedure. The lady explained that i had to eat everything in front of me in under 10 mins. It consisted of 2 egg whites that had radioactive agents in them, 2 pieces of toast with jelly and 4oz of water.

The eggs were nasty. They were rubbery and tasted awful. I took my knife and cut a little piece off just to try it and gagged. I thought if i would put it on the toast with jelly and gulp it down that i could get it down but that tasted worse. I finally realized that i was going to have to eat the eggs first and use the toast with jelly to get the taste out of my mouth. I did that and sipped the water. I finally was done

The tech came in and told me that i needed to go into the other room. I went with her, she explained that i had to stand in front of the machine for 1 minute for her to take picture and then turn around and do the same thing. After that was over i was instructed to return to the waiting room and wait for an hour for them to do the same thing. and that was going to happen 5 more times.

i went back to the waiting room and waited. Just for torture they had Rachel Ray on tv. Just what i wanted to see food. So i pulled out my almighty ipad and went on to facebook, twitter and popped into chat. by that time it was time for my next set.

I came back and was listening to the view on abc followed by the view. During this whole study i was nauseated and could not take or drink anything for it

at 2:14 PM they told me they were done and i could leave. I got my documentation and left the hospital. Since it was after 2 there was no bus from the hospital i had to walk a couple blocks to the next bus stop. I got there early and there is a subway outside so i went in and got 2 meatball sandwiches. By this time the bus got here. I knew the driver from working with him previously at on of my other jobs. I told me i looked sick and asked me where i was going.

We got back to the station and he told me to stay on the bus. Apperently it was his last run of the day and was headed home but he had to return the bus back to the depot. He called himself out of service and dropped me off 1 block away from my house. Normally the driver would drop me off 4 blocks and i would have walk uphill.

I got home and slept for about an hour. I was told i would have the results within a week.

So now i just have to wait for the EGD next month and hopefully we will soon have a diagnosis.


Views: 89

Comment by rick (aka: #blankieboy) on March 22, 2014 at 11:08pm

Josh, thank you for the wonderful update. Its sounds like you had a terrible;e day and I understand how anxious you are for the results. As we all wait, I will say how much I am hoping for the best. I knwo your day was tough, but lets hope nothing is found. I know that is tough to hope for but I am hoping for it anyway. at least we will know you are not terribly ill my friend.

Comment by swisschocolate on March 23, 2014 at 7:10am

Josh, I seriously hope it is nothing bad, keep us all updated!
hugs, take care

Comment by Marie B on March 23, 2014 at 8:10am

hugs, little bro, wish I could have taken you there and kept you company (besides on Twitter). What a nice thing the bus driver did. Hope they can figure out exactly what it is. please let us know.

Comment by Stoner on March 23, 2014 at 2:39pm

♡hugs♡ my friend…waiting anxiously beside you.


You need to be a member of Diabetes community by Diabetes Hands Foundation: TuDiabetes to add comments!

Join Diabetes community by Diabetes Hands Foundation: TuDiabetes



From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Helmsley Charitable Trust Renews Support for DHF

HELMSLEY CHARITABLE TRUST GRANTS SUPPORT TO DIABETES HANDS FOUNDATION FOR FOURTH YEAR  Funding in 2015 to support major transitions in programs and leadership at Diabetes Hands Foundation BERKELEY, CA: February 18, 2015 – The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Read on! →

Spare A Rose, Save A Child for Valentines Day

Here’s a new way to celebrate Valentines Day: Buy a dozen roses, spare the cost of one (about $5) and donate to IDF’s Life for a Child program. By doing this, you will help children in need of life saving insulin. Those of Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team


Melissa Lee
(Interim Executive Director, Editor, has type 1)

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, has LADA)

Emily Coles (Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Director of Operations and Development, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)


Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)


Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)


LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word


This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2015   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service