I read a great book in german about psyching out diabetes ("Diabetes ist meine Sache" by Axel Hirsch).
It made me see so many things in a more realistic, relaxed but also empowering way...
At the end of that book I made a little list with the things that helped me most (along with my own ideas) and I thought that would make a nice blog entry. Here we go:
1. Humor- Laughing about some of my weird diabetes habits instead of blaming me and analyzing it down to the ground.
2. Acceptance- Be compassionate about yourself
3. Realistic- Diabetes is neither a lucky challenge, nor a catastrophe
4. Empowerment- You have the choice to decide about how you treat your diabetes, and noone else
5. Open minded- Try again and again and again... No matter how many drawbacks you have, change is always possible!
6. Limits- They have to be accepted without generating new ones that aren't there
7. Letting go- There are much more important things in my life but diabetes. Living healthily enables me to enjoy them
8. Honest- I should be honest about myself without blaming me
9. Feelings- Must be accepted as they are, good ones and bad ones, coming and going...
10. Active- Living an active life gives me the power and motivation to keep up good health!
Well... There's no recipe, but some ingredients might help! ;-)