Well I have known about my diabetes for a whole month now. In that month I have experienced the good/bad and ugly:
1) Found out I had a "disease"
2) Got told to stab my fingers 3-5x a day and bleed on this gizmo.
3) Got told to radically change my diet love of the beer and exercise
4) Was informed of all the wost case scenarios
5) Attended 3 of 4 sessions of a diabetes education class where everyone there was my parents age.
6) Went to a "diabetes expo" and was scared out of my mind by the people I saw there.
7) Upset my family with my testing, and new diet requirements.
8) Just overwhelmed and depressed, breaking out crying in the middle of a conference call (Big tough Marine right?)
1) This site. Everyone here has been so supportive and informative. I have never seen any indication of negative comments or "flaming" that you see all over the internet. I really feel like I have been "adopted" by a new extended family, and I think you all for that.
2) I know now, and I can do something to ensure I stay healthy. I dont live for myself, I live for my family. I am their provider, husband, and father. i will do what it takes to make sure I can continue and be successful with that.
3) I dropped 5 pounds :) YEA!
4) My kids are asking questions, and want to also be more healthy. They are getting tested next week.
5) Got a new exercise bike and saved 100$ on it by going to the expo :)
I still have more questions than answers, and don't know what I don't know.
Thank you all!