I have been using the Contact Detach sets for just under three weeks now. Today I just went to the pharmacy and changed over my regular prescription to these sets, so from now on I'll get these instead of Comforts. For about the first week and a half I didn't notice much change. Then I had a crazy schedule at work for a few days and had crazy blood sugars along with it. And, actually, at one point in there I did switch back to a Comfort set as the Contact Detach literally just fell out at work (see note below about adhesive), and I'm not sure if that corresponded with my crazy blood sugar period.
Now, for the past five days, my blood sugars have been amazing! Especially considering how little effort I'm putting into them. I'm counting carbs, but not restricting them. In the past five days I have had maybe two readings above 11 which is amazing! All the highs have been explainable by food. I have had zero random highs (although I've had a few random lows) during the past five days.
I'm not ready to party just yet, BUT the new infusion sets are muuuuuch less irritated than the Comforts when I remove them. No unbearably itchy hives or huge welts around where the cannula enters the skin! There is a tiny hole/dot and a little mark where the plastic tubing/hub bit is, and otherwise my skin is normal. The adhesive on both little patches does get itchy after 12-24 hours, and the area under both patches is red when I remove it. But it's not unbearably itchy like it was with the comforts, and doesn't itch for 1-2 days after removing. Makes me think my main problem was the material the cannula was made out of. I would like to find something to put under the adhesive, as I do find myself trying to scratch through my clothes sometimes, but it's soooo much better than the old sites that got so itchy I just wanted to scratch them out after a day!
The one issue I notice is the adhesive on the patch that the needle is on doesn't seem as strong/sticky as the other. A few times it has started to unpeel shortly after putting it in. Also one day at work it literally just fell out (as mentioned above), which I've never had happen before. I am cleaning that site with alcohol and NOT using alcohol on the second patch, so maybe that contributes to making the first one less sticky.
Overall I am hoping that my blood sugars continue to stay good and that my issue was an allergy to the infusion sets all along. I hope my body doesn't develop a problem with irritation to these sets. That would make me so happy! I haven't yet tried swimming with these sets, so we'll see how they hold up when I find myself with time to do that.