Here at DHF we are all really excited about the release of the No-Sugar Added Poetry book and anxious to see how it can help readers better understand the challenges, hopes and fears of life with diabetes.
We want to let the word know about this book because we truly believe it will raise awareness and we are so proud of how we have come together as a community to create something meaningful. As some of you may know this is the first book we publish here at DHF and are counting on our members to spread the word about this huge community accomplishment. For this we have been working very hard putting together an amazing package for those of you who want to throw a book party to and let more people know about this book.
WHAT DOES THE BOOK PARTY KIT CONTAINS:
3 copies of the book (one of them for you)
Bookmarks, postcards, Raffle tickets
Post-Reading discussion points and Party ideas and suggestions
One of the copies of the book, the Coffee bookmark and the No-Sugar Added Poetry Mug are a gift for you, as a sign of our appreciation for holding this party and helping raise diabetes awareness. We suggest that you raffle off the other copies of the book at your party. The bookmarks and postcards are for you to hand out to your guests. You can use the postcards as invitations too.
Where to hold your book party?
• At a park • At a café • At a library (check to see if they have a space where you can read aloud) • Community Center • Your home • Book Stores • College Campuses
How to invite people?
• Invite all of your friends and family • Post on bulletin boards in local coffee shops and independent bookstores. • Invite your TuDiabetes (and Facebook) friends who live near you. • Post as an event on TuDiabetes (let us know so we may help promote it). • Post in TuDiabetes groups around the area where the party will take place. • Mail No-Sugar Added Poetry postcards.
What to do during the party?
• As guests arrive, ask people to put on nametags and their type of diabetes. • Do poetry reading. Try to get a few different people to read out loud • Raffle the extra books among the attendees. • Consider some of the discussion topic ideas in the next section. • Take photos of your guests with the book in the hands and upload them to TuDiabetes. • Take photos of people with their “Word in Your Hand” using a word that describes how they feel about the book. • Eat, drink and mingle.
Discussion topic ideas
• What was the poem that touched you most deeply and why? • What did you learn from the poems read today? • How does the book resonate for you, compared to other poetry books? • If you have diabetes, when did you first open up to others about having diabetes?
• Can be as simple as a potluck. • Coffee/tea and cheese, crackers, veggie plates
• Nametags, so people can get to know each other • No-Sugar Added Poetry parafernalia to share with your guests. • Consider recording a video or posting on your blog about the party, to document and share the experience.
IMPORTANT: If you want to hold one of this parties, please reply to this discussion AND send an email Emily Walton. THERE IS A LIMITED NUMBER OF KITS WE CAN SEND OUT SO LET HER KNOW ASAP THAT YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE.
329,040 minutes, 329,040 moments so dear. 329,040 minutes — How do you measure, measure volunteers? In smileys, in tears shed, in counsel, in cups of coffee. In units, in carb counts, in laughter, in strife. In 329,040 minutes – how … Continue Reading
Diabetes Hands Foundation has always relied on partners and advisors to increase its understanding of the diabetes space, in order to better serve people touched by diabetes. Today this is as true as ever, as we proudly announce the expansion … Continue Reading