A total of 95 entries were submitted before April 29th. On May 16th the judges announced the 20 semi-finalists (including Pancreum) and asked for people to vote for their favorites. On May 26th, the voting results were in and the 10 finalists (again including Pancreum) were revealed.
The winner(s) will be crowned on June 13th, and I have no nails left. :)
The design is not finalized and these products won't be available for a few years yet. Please provide feedback on the following items and let me know what you think about their features, potential flaws or limitations. Feel free to add your feature wish list too. This is our way to empower people (and parents of people) with diabetes and give you a chance to REALLY influence these products' design and features.
1. "CoreMD" re-usable system "brain" which contains the microprocessor, Bluetooth circuitry and rechargeable batteries.
2. "BetaWedge" replaceable insulin pump
3. "GlucoWedge" replaceable continuous glucose monitor
4. InsuLean Insulin Delivery System (Custom PDA or Smartphone, CoreMD and BetaWedge)
5. Vigil Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (Custom PDA or Smartphone, CoreMD and GlucoWedge)
6. Mine Closed-Loop System (Custom PDA or Smartphone, CoreMD, BetaWedge and GlucoWedge)
All systems will be shipped with 2 CoreMD devices. While you wear one for up to 7 days, the other can be recharged via the micro USB connector and also serve as a spare.
Note: The glucagon pump (AlphaWedge) design and use in a system will take a few years to be finalized, and MANY MANY more years to be approved by regulatory agencies, so the "Genesis Artificial Pancreas System" (which includes it) will not become a reality for a good while. :( So, please concentrate your comments on the devices and systems listed above only.