First let me start out as a PWD you should learn your insurance company’s rule about your testing supplies. I have to deal with Medicare and I also use a mail order supplier because it is cheaper for me to get them. Medicare’s policy is 14 days before you are scheduled to run out you may contact your supplier and place a reorder. This is my latest experience with a supply company.
Due to staffing changes at my endocrinologist’s office my doctor left and I was assigned a new doctor. This was all cool with me. On Thursday March 28th I informed my supplier that I needed to put a reorder in with them. The agent went thru the slew of questions that she had to ask and asked if I was still seeing my former dr. I told her no and that she had to update the record. She updated it to the new doctor. I told her the fax number was the same. I was told that she would have to send over paperwork to the new doctor. I was fine with that
Monday June 2nd I called up the supplier. I informed then I had an appointment with the new doctor today and I was just calling to see if any paperwork was received. I was told no. I told them that I would mention this to my doctor. I told the nurse at my endo’s office and she checked the fax bin and was told that she had nothing. She also told me that the fax number changed. So I called them back and gave them the new fax number. The agent said she would updated it and have the documents department fax it again.
Wednesday June 4th, I had to call my endo’s office about another unrelated issue. I asked the nurse if she had received anything from the supply company. She said nothing was received. I called the supply company again to tell them that my doctor’s office did not receive anything. She told me she was going to fax it again.
Friday June 6h, I called my endo’s office to see if they got anything I was told no. So I called the supply company yet again. When I got to speak to a rep I pleaded with him to have this looked into. And that I was going to run out of supplies on Tuesday. He told me I should follow up on Monday and that they would fax it over and call my endo’s office to see that they got it. I finally got fed up with dealing with reps and wrote an e-mail. I explained the situation and placed the contact info in for my endo with the fax number and the contact phone number. Since it was after business hours I would have to wait till Monday for a response
Monday June 9th
I got a response to my email about 10am. In the email the supervisor told me that they had the wrong fax number in for my endo and that every time they were faxing it they were sending it to the wrong number. They also advised me that they were going to updated it and fax it over again and an agent would call me. Within about 15 minutes about getting the email an agent did call. She explained to me that she faxed the paperwork and spoke to reception at my endo’s office and that they did receive it. As soon as they got this back they would release my supplies. I called endo about 3:30pm my time and left a message for a nurse. I got a call back from my doctor’s nurse who told me she had the papers in her hand and was filling them and would fax them by the end of the day. When a nurse from that office tells me they are going to do something I know they do it in the timeline they say. I sent an email back to the supplier telling me my dr was going to send the faxes over momentarily.
Tuesday June 10th
I called up to see if they got what they needed. I was told they did not receive nothing. This sent me over the edge as I only had 4 test strips for the day. I got to the point where I was getting nowhere with the rep and I asked to speak to a supervisor. I got to a supervisor and I explained to him that my doctor sent over everything and is there anything that he can do to help me. He said that due to it being an insurance issue the only thing he could do was to contact the endo’s office and try to find where they faxed it over. He put me on hold and try to ring them. They were at lunch so he had to leave a message with the answering service. He also advised me that he was in the office until 8pm and he would call me back with a status update. This never happened. In the evening I sent another email over advising them of a situation and I would like a phone call back.
Wednesday June 11th
I am out of test strips at this point. I got an email early am telling me that they received the paperwork for my doctor’s office and that they would be releasing my order today. I got a phone call from a rep confirming this. He also informed me that he needed a test log from me. I told him back in April they requested a log for February. Logs are good for 6 months by Medicare standards. That log should have lasted me till august. He had to call his supervisor because I refused to send him a new log. Apparently no one attached it to my file. I was nice enough and emailed it to his supervisor. At that point he told me he could release the order and that I would not get it till Friday. At this point I called up another CDE department I dealt with at another hospital and the nurse was able to spot me 25 strips. She sent them to me via the hospital courier.
So the moral of my situation is make sure your supply company has the right fax number. Also when a company says they are doing something don’t be afraid to follow up on it. It may seem like your being a pain to them but then again it’s your health. Also make sure you know your insurance company’s policies relating to test strips and lancets and log books.