So I just went to see the new Hansel and Gretel movie and It was really good. I lot better then I was expecting. But I love the little titbit that Hansel was a diabetic. It doesn't come right out and say it in the movie but. He says that when he was trapped inside the witch candy house that the witch made him eat so much candy that now he has to take a shot every couple hours or he will die. I was like that soo cool he like me!!! lol!! Well I just though I would share that. If you like action movies and twists on classic this is a really good movie, but it is a little bloody, so not for young kids.

Views: 1065

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My wife and I watched it too...I thougth it was funny but it does show you how ignorant Hollywood is concerning Diabetes.

Anyone see the new show, "Do No Harm" last night? It's about a man who supposedly has DID (formerly called multiple personality disorder). One of the symptoms of his alternate coming out is high blood sugar which supposedly caused by the stress of the change. Eek! The show is somewhat entertaining but as a Mental Health professional it's real hard for me to suspend my disbelief at how inaccurate the portrayal of DID is. But at least when his blood sugar (which he got by pressing his finger on a plate like a fingerprint scanner!) was 315, they said "he's hyperglycemic, give him a shot of insulin" instead of feeding him coke or something! Though they did add he was in danger of going into hyperglycemic shock. Groan.

This is like when I watch any movie or TV show with a blind character. On one hand, I get kind of excited that they're including someone with a disability in the story ... but I always end up cringing at the inaccuracies of the portrayal. I can't think of a single movie or TV show I've seen that did it well, but I suppose at least they're trying ...

My husband is a military historian, and watching any war movie with him is a litany of how the insignia is misplaced, the gear is worn incorrectly....

We have a friend who consults with the movie industry on militaria of all sorts and he just about goes nuts with every job. They want accuracy, but do not take the expert advice.

It is not just the things we know about--it is an industry. They try to get us away, and that is more important than accuracy.

Hello, I also found the movie to be better than expected. Realising that Hansel was diabetic was amusing however it was disappointing that the film shall propagate to the ignorant masses the myth of excessive suggar consumption causing diabetes. It's rediculous that with the plethora of information available about this condition that idiotic assumptions are still rampant.

That is what I dislike as well. The idea that excessive sugar consumption (a lie. My pancreas just went kerplunk, no more no less) causes it...or the fact that you can't have any sugar. If Hansel ever found himself going hypo that witch's house would look like ravenous termites had devoured it.

I haven't seen the movie but if there's a witch involved, perhaps we can blame them for diabetes?

I haven't seen the movie either, but I guess we are to undertstand that it is a "fantasy" and everything mentioned is not real; like eating too much candy causes diabetes and that you have to take shots every hour to stay alive. Sheesh. I am not into action-adventure-fantasy movies such as : Harry potter", etc. Prefer psychological thrillers and smart horror films.

Acid, just being too sweet personality wise, like you and I, causes diabetes lol

God bless,
Brunetta

Ooo not a good idea, you'll have the pagan community after you...

Ooops, no offense intended, I overlooked the paganbetics!! I suspect that I'm not too far removed from that.

I just noticed this on Netflix and I queued up "Hansel & Gretel" (2013) to watch. It turns out not to be the same thing as "Hansel & Gretel" (2013). I felt a little deceived, it was not the same movie. Who would release major movies by the same name in the same year? But then again, what 2013 movie would be released immediately to Netflix?

witches!!!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service