Close to 10% of patients diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes are actually living with Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA or Type 1.5): in the US alone this represents almost 2 million people. I am one of those people and this is my story.

I can't believe I can't get rid of this yeast infection, what's going on. I tried over the counter medication to cure it, the yeast infection never went away. I called my Doctor's office and made an appointment. Judy walked in the room and I told her I had a yeast infection I couldn't get rid of. She checked my glucose levels and the meter read 400. She said I have diabetes and my glucose levels are high that's why I couldn't fight the infection. On June 16, 2004 I was diagnosed with being a diabetic; I was only 23 years old. Judy decided to send me to the lab. The next morning I received the results, fasting blood sugar was 334 and my HgA1C was 14.5. Judy (my nurse) diagnosed me as having Type 2 diabetes. I was initially started on Metformin, which at first worked well to control my blood sugars. Eventually, she decided to send me to a Endo, because my C-peptide levels were low, indicating that I was not making insulin on my own, which is uncommon in patients with Type 2. Also, I wasn't overweight, a more common aspect of type 2 diabetes.

My first visit with Dr. Menon (my Endo) went well. He said he knew I was Type 1.5/LADA, just by looking at me. But, in order for him to confirm his theory, I had to get some blood work done. This was to measure antibodies that are frequently present in Type 1.5/LADA, called GAD-65 (there is also a test called islet-cell antibodies, which can be measured). A week later the results came back, it was confirmed that I have Type 1.5/LADA. My first thought was how did I get this? I don't have a family member with Diabetes. Dr. Menon said, “It is a gene that you have and it could have been triggered by a cold or maybe even stress."

Dr. Menon started me on 5mg of Glipizide and said I would have to be placed on insulin within the next 4 years. He couldn’t tell me when my pancreas would completely stop making insulin. That was 4 years ago...

A lot of things have changed since my initial diagnoses! In January of 2008 I was placed on insulin, my honeymoon ended. I am learning how to live as a Type 1. I know some people say there isn't a difference but to me there is a huge difference!!! I had the chance to live on both side of the tracks. If you asked me pills over insulin, I would choose insulin. I was asked if I would rather have Type 1 and 2 over Type 1.5, wouldn’t trade being Type 1.5/ LADA for the world. I like being the odd ball!

Here are a few Characteristic's of Type 1.5/LADA:

-Adult age diagnoses

- Lean body type.

- More abrupt onset of high blood sugars, at the time of diagnosis, perhaps even DKA.

-Less likely to achieve good blood sugar control with meal planning or oral diabetes medications.

-Positive antibodies against GAD-65 or islet cells.

-Low C-peptide levels – insulin deficiency versus the insulin resistance that is routinely seen in type 2 diabetes.

- Less likely to have a family history of type 2

If you think you have any of the symptoms listed above talk to your health care provider and share your story here too.

Tags: LADA, diabetes, type 1.5

Views: 4138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have had great difficulty getting appropriate tests. It took me more than a year to get a c-peptide and then two years to get "one" of the antibody tests. My diagnosis after all this effort is still "inconclusive." If you are LADA it will emerge over time. In my view, most of the argument to move quickly to insulin has to do with avoiding high blood sugars. You can do that as a new LADA for some time through attention to diet, exercise and use of medications and with your current status you are not at immediate risk.

Gerri and Mellita give good advice, but be prepared, you may have to switch doctors, advocate aggressively for yourself and realize it may just take some time and effort. Just don't give up.
bsc, you say "emerge over time" but I don't know what to look for. I'm in a bum mood today as it seemed >i>everything I thought about buying at the store was over my carb limit. Up to now, I haven't had soup. I live in a fairly hot climate and it is only now down to "cool" so I was going to load up on my favorite soups that I've eaten since childhood. Ditto a bunch of other foods I was looking at that I didn't get as eating only 1/4 cup or whatever is my safe level is too little to make it worthwhile eating.

Yesterday I spiked to 152 for a 40 gram carb lunch (2hrpp) on and then dropped to 71 after taking my pill. That pill doesn't last long enough. I'm going to try moving it from 3 p.m. to a.m. and see if it can't cover three meals without me spiking for hours. Yeah, I know, you probably don't see these numbers as bad, but it is worse than it was a month ago, so it looks like a trend to me. I was just about to calm down that I might not have LADA and this keeps happening every day.
What I meant was that if you do have LADA is should become clearer as a diagnosis because your blood sugar control will degrade and you won't respond to medications.

And it is ok to fell a little sad knowing that many of your favorite foods now must be limited.

I am newly diagnosed as type two; however, I think this is more specific to me. I am 35, lean, and had a rapid onset.
Right now I am very frightened and emotional but I'd like to know something definitive. I am going to ask my Doctor right away. Thank you for sharing.

Update: I am in fact type two. My doctor told me that my body still makes lots of insulin and that I am responding well to the meds. And Type two is in my family.
So I am the odd T2

Welcome to "odd T2" world. I was worried about it, too, because I am thin, no history of diabetes in the family. Now at almost two years later, I worry less that I'll be getting 1.5, and I have not bothered to get the antibody testing. If I ever do start spiking high and not get any response from my meds, maybe then I'll look into it.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service